September 5th, 2016
Warlord Games release the Sd.Kfz 234/4 (PaK 40) resin & metal armoured car for your 28mm WW2 Bolt Action Miniatures games.
Born of a desperation for more mobile anti-tank weapons as the Allied armies closed in on Germany, Hitler ordered that the 234/3 be upgraded to carry the far superior Pak40 anti-tank gun. As a stand-in weapon it was still deployed with reconnaissance units and proved quite effective.
The SdKfz 234 series were eight-wheeled armoured cars used for armed reconnaissance ahead of a formations line of advance. There were 4 official versions and possibly some ‘unofficial’ field conversions:
- 234/1 with a 20mm gun and MMG in an open topped turret.
- 234/2 Puma with the 50mm gun in a fully enclosed turret.
- 234/3 mounting a short barrel 75mm gun in an open fighting compartment.
- 234/4 with the long barrel 75mm Pak40 anti-tank gun in an open fighting compartment
- Sd.Kfz.234 mit Luchs Turm i.e. a single example of a 234/2 Puma hull married with a Panzer II Luchs turret
Fast mobile weaponry such as this can make a real difference when it comes to securing an avenue of approach early in a battle. Particularly good on the flanks, move up to a good position early to hinder the enemy, or at least distract them from your real objectives.