January 28th, 2017
MASHED is a tabletop role playing game that uses Powered by the Apocalypse rules to explore the value of human life and the stresses of war—but it’s also about relationships. And courage. And laughter. And love.
Although your characters spend long hours performing surgery, MASHED compresses these into short events to focus on the most dramatic moments. Much of the game actually occurs outside of the operating tent, at times when the flow of casualties has ebbed. Here you may fall in or out of love, fight the orders of ineffective top brass, set up pranks, help your South Korean allies, pick fights, seduce your way through the unit, pull rank, and much more.
If you can find ways to relax amid the horrors of surgery and war, you might get rotated home with your sanity intact. Just remember that you’re practicing medicine in a combat zone—and death isn’t confined to the operating tent.
“MASHED weaves history and military procedures through the game in a totally fitting way, doesn’t dwell on or ignore the challenges of the era for modern eyes, and features a brilliant use of countdown clocks and wounds. I cannot wait to see this finished and on the table.” – Meguey Baker, creator of 1001 Nights, co-designer of Apocalypse World
The download includes the MASHED RPG (260-page PDF, $15) and all of the complete handouts designed for print:
- 7 playbooks (Angel, Corpsman, Cowboy, Cutter, Doc, Grunt, Padre)
- 1 character creation guidebook
- 1 moves summary playsheet (basic and medical)
- 1 patient playsheet (including 4 patients; 2 per side)
- 3 CO field manuals (quick reference guidebook, first session workbook, event workbook)
- 1 personnel tracker (22 pages)
- 1 calendar covering June 1950 to July 1953 (38 pages)
- 2 printable camp maps (with and without labels)