Designer Blog – #IntoTheBlack
Earning and Expending your Reputation!
A space pirates reputation is ever so important. It must be earned, and it can be used to influence the outcome of any number of situations the pirate may find himself in.
In Into the Black, each player character has reputation that they may earn and spend.
Through continued play testing, it has been found that the current reputation system is overpowered. Having a maximum of 6 reputation points (4 to begin the game) and the ability to earn 1 for each successful combat situation and expend 1 or 2 for any variety of outcomes without limits (beyond the amount of reputation available) is too much and the pool of reputation available has been near endless.
We’re going to test out a new reputation system that will go something like this;
- Each player begins with 2 reputation points out of a maximum of 5.
- Players earn 1 reputation (to a maximum of +1 per round) for every 5 enemies they defeat and return to the bag (this has the added bonus/penalty of returning more enemies to the pool)
- Bonus reputation may be earned based on special event cards
- Players may spend reputation a maximum of once per turn and each benefit may only be used once until reset
- Benefits are reset after all benefits have been used
Benefits of spending reputation;
- Heal one damage
- Keep one additional loot card during a search
- Re-roll a single die (at any time, including out of turn)
- Re-draw loot cards (place initial draw back to the top of the pile)
- Immediately retreat from combat with no penalty
- Exit a room before applying the immediate effects from an event
In order to track what benefits have been utilized, reputation cubes will shift from the reputation track on your player board to the benefit track on your player board. This has the added bonus of providing a visual reminder of what each reputation benefit is as well, rather than referencing the rules or a quick reference card.
We’ll see how this works! As always, any comments and suggestions are welcome!
James J Campbell is the Lead Game Designer at I Will Never Grow Up Gaming and the creator of
several projects such as TechMage Sci-Fantasy RPG, Into the Black: A Game of Space Piracy and Conflict & Chaos: Vietnam 1965.