April 24, 2018
There are werewolves among us! We’ll stab each other, heal each other, and try to avoid getting bitten, but when a human receives their third bite, they secretly become a wolf and turn against us! When a Night card shows up, players anonymously pass cards to their neighbors, and that’s how werewolves can strike in secret. Humans need at least one human to survive at the end of the third night to warn other villages of the werewolf outbreak.
GROWL is going strong on Kickstarter now!
“My goal with GROWL is not to supplant Werewolf or One Night Ultimate Werewolf, or The Resistance, or Secret Hitler. My goal is to make something totally different that solves major problems with the social deduction genre.” – Joey Vigour (designer of Chaosmos and GROWL)
SOCIAL DEDUCTION GAMES:
• Often require either a moderator or phone app to “host” the game
• Can take an hour to play or more.
• Require large groups of players
• Suffer from the “alpha gamer problem” where the loudest players often take charge
• Usually don’t work well if both experienced and casual players are in the same game
• No moderator or app
• 15 minute playtime, regardless of the number of players
• Everyone gets to bite, stab, heal, and give gold, so all players have power not just the loud people
• Takes only 5 minutes to learn, and works with all kinds of players together
Number of Players: 4-7 (4-10 with Howly Growly bonus cards)
Time Required: 15 min
Recommended Ages: 10+
Growl is $16 for the basic game, and $24 for the ‘Howly Growly Box,’ which includes all stretch goals and boosts the player count up to 10.